Monday, October 17, 2011

Storms of Life


The storms that rolled in a couple of weeks ago were a VERY welcome sight after a long, hot and very dry summer. I was awoken by the crackling of thunder, and flashes of lightening. The sound of the raindrops on the roof was almost tranquilizing. I grabbed my camera and my notepad and went outside so that I could completely engulf myself in the feeling. I remember thinking that it isn’t very often you see blessings pour down and effect so many people at one time. I knew that not only was my family smiling at the sight of such beauty, but many, many families were feeling the welcome relief of the rain. I also remember thinking how refreshing the storms of nature were for my spirit; almost as refreshing as it was for the earth. I spent much of my morning that day in devotion. I was realizing how alike the storms of life are to those storms of Mother Nature. Some are huge causing mass destruction and others pass through with just a little wind. I pondered on Proverbs 3:5 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him and He will make your path straight.” Life storms are sometimes as uncontrollable as the natural ones. We sit and watch Mother Nature do her thing from a covered shelter, with excitement and joy knowing that eventually it will pass and the sun will shine again. The storm will renew the earth, give a drink to the critters, and provide bath water for the birds. However, Life storms come in and we have the need to stop them; we fear that the feeling it brought on will last us a lifetime. It is hard to find shelter and a sense of calm in the midst of a life storm. It is easy to trust our Lord when storms only bring the much needed rain we have been praying for. But it takes the strength given to us only by God to trust him when when the storms are delivering life altering blows. It’s during these moments in life that we must fully believe that He will make “Our paths straight, again.” Isn’t that why after every rain we find a rainbow; and those rainbows always seem to deliver a feeling of calm. The storms of both nature and life help us to know of God’s power and love. Reflecting on scripture during a storm helps remind us of God’s faithfulness and presence during these rough times. Life will NEVER be without storms, but with FAITH in God, you will weather them much easier. God is ALWAYS larger than our troubles and WILL be our life preserver when we feel we are drowning. We must always seek His shelter in any storm; either delivered by life or nature. Just like the storms of nature, the storms of life to will pass eventually and life will go on. It is how we move forward from those storms that will depict our path ahead. Have a super blessed day!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon! This is Megan M. from www.AllABunchOfMomsense.com - I got your comment, unfortunately your account is set up as a no-reply email, so here I am, leaving a completely unrelated to your post comment. (Sorry about that!) I am on twitter as @TaxMegan, would love to get to tweet with you!

    ReplyDelete